Rocking the Bald

Erin Byrnes, Staff Writer

Childhood cancer is a life changing diagnosis for a child and for his/her family. More children are lost to cancer than any other disease in the U.S., and worldwide, a child is diagnosed every two minutes. In the 1950’s close to all the children that were diagnosed with cancer died. Now, because of the new research, the children that are diagnosed with the most common type of cancer will live. However, many other types have had limited research and the kids have little hope for a cure. With the help of St. Baldrick’s Foundation, as of 2012, $100 million was given to childhood cancer research to help find a cure for all children.

St. Baldrick’s is a non-profit organization created to raise awareness and donations to go towards the research to help find cures for childhood cancer. Every year men and women make the pledge to shave their heads in solidarity with the children that have lost their hair through medical treatments. As they register to become a shavee, friends and family donate money to them under their name to meet a goal before the shave date. Many shavees also make the commitment to continue to shave each year for seven years and be a part of “Knights of the Bald Table.”

The Farmingdale Federation of Teachers created a team to shave their heads. Mr. Jim Hughes, a teacher at FHS and team captain, started shaving his head for the first time last year and was motivated by his two students, Will Hroch and Nick Carbone, who were active participants. This year, he shaved his head along with four other teachers at The Nutty Irishman on Sunday, March 19th. “It was an awesome event that brought the community together in support of a worthy cause,” says hughes. “The teachers were well represented by some of the best looking gentlemen in the district: Mr. Falcones, Mr. Garcia, Mr. Osborn, and Mr. Hughes.  And to quote the St. Baldrick’s T-shirt we ‘rock the bald.’ Thanks to all those who donated; we raised over a thousand dollars.”  As a whole, the event raised $91,947 to go to the St Baldrick’s Foundation, and 233 people (including several current and former FHS students) participated. So the question is: Are you ready to join your fellow Dalers and “rock the bald” next year?