Then and Now: The Legacy of LAX

Sarah Robbins, Staff Writer

Ten years seems like a lifetime ago. When I was little I would always think of what it would be like to be in high school or college, participating in more “grown-up like things.” I thought about the new friends I would make and the new chapters in my life that had yet to be written; it seemed so far away, but now the time has come. And when I think back and look forward, one of the things that is always at the forefront of my mind is lacrosse.

Lacrosse has always been a big part of my life and I cannot remember a time when the stick was not in my hand. When I was little, I never really understood what it meant to be a part of a team. Over the many years of playing with the same girls, we have all become really close. Farmingdale has taught me a lot about working together and never giving up. Senior captain Brianna McGowan agrees: “Over the past four years, lacrosse has taught me that teamwork really is so important on and off the field. Without your teammates working together you cannot accomplish your goals. As well as communication, making sure everyone is on the same page working together as one unit is ultimately important.” Whether we win or lose, we are still a team and together we become the best version of ourselves. Teammates continue to push you, even when you feel like you physically cannot move anymore. Last year as a freshman, varsity lacrosse was a whole new world. Memorizing plays, adapting to new coaches and players opened up new possibilities. It was a clean slate. Everything I thought I knew about lacrosse was taken to a whole other level. The teams we played against were the best of the best and the competition was at its highest point. Another senior captain Julia Cambria says, “Lacrosse has changed me these past four years because it taught me to be more confident in myself. It also helped me become more of a leader in everything I do.” The girls pushed me to my best and made me work harder and harder every day.

As well as being apart of the Farmingdale Lacrosse team, I also play with the Long Island Yellow Jackets. I am lucky enough to be on this team for the past six years. A huge portion of my life has been dedicated to this experience and I am grateful for every second of it. Grateful– my first grade self would not have experienced or let alone known what this feeling was if I was never involved with lacrosse. The friends I have made over the years have turned into my family and I could not have met better people to spend my summers with. Every weekend in a different state with the sun beating down on us, there is nowhere else I can picture myself. Whether we win or lose games, having the opportunity to do something I love every day with the people who have been by me half of my life is an amazing experience. From the age of five years old to fifteen, the amount of blood, sweat and tears that made me into the player I am today, I would not trade any of it for the world.