The Student News Site of Farmingdale High School

Best Game Ever?

On Monday night, November 19th, the Los Angeles Rams played the Kansas City Chiefs in what fans are now saying was the best football game the NFL has ever seen. Leading up to this game, everyone expected an excellent offensive battle between the teams, as they have the top offenses in the league. No one expected both teams to score fifty points, as it has never happened in a game until now.

The two young quarterbacks, Jared Goff of the Rams, and Patrick Mahomes of the Chiefs, both played stellar games. Goff threw for 414 yards and four touchdowns, and Mahomes threw for 478 yards and six touchdowns. The game went back and forth as both offenses seemed to score every time they had the ball. As the score started to run up, the Rams began to force turnovers and capitalize on their opportunities by scoring, which helped them come up with a crucial 54-51 victory. Fast-paced and entertaining, the game was a thriller as everyone was amazed by the talented players on both teams. Kansas City Chiefs speedster Tyreek Hill put on a show for the crowd as he made huge plays in the game. One in particular was when Hill ran as fast as he could down field, beating his defender, and Mahomes threw the ball nearly sixty yards in the air to connect with Hill for the long touchdown, which at the time made the score 40-37 Rams. This was just one of the many great plays Hill made, as he had 10 receptions for 215 yards and 2 touchdowns. Mahomes and Hill have started to be one of the most dynamic duos in the league, as defenses are having extreme difficulties stopping them.

Even though the duo produced videogame-like numbers, it was still not enough to outscore Jared Goff and his high-powered offense. Goff does an excellent job of spreading the wealth while passing, throwing to a wide variety of receivers which keeps the defense unsure all game. Targets like Robert Woods, Josh Reynolds, Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks and Gerald Everett all have significant impact on the success of the offense. This consistent play from receivers takes pressure off of Goff as he does not have to force the ball to one star receiver, but can just focus on finding the open man, and have confidence that they will make the play for the team. This was on full display on Monday; the Rams receiving core had a huge night and everyone did their share and made game-changing plays, which lead to the Los Angeles Rams winning and setting themselves up for a high seed moving into the playoffs; they proved they are a Super Bowl contender moving forward.

Though it may be tough for these offenses to put up 50-point games again, we can expect to see continued successful play as the rhythm and momentum of this game will be carried into the upcoming games. People will look back on this Monday Night Football game and be glad that they were able to witness the shear greatness of the two teams.

Paper Lion • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in